Business Growth Programme
THE BUSINESS GROWTH PROGRAMME HAS NOW LAUNCHED
We are delighted to announce that the new £33 million Business Growth Programme (BGP) has launched. Please see the funding round schedule
for the latest funding round dates.
The package of support is designed to strengthen supply chains, stimulate innovation and grow existing Small to Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs) across the Greater Birmingham and Solihull, Stoke and Staffordshire and The Marches Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEPs).
Part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund and managed by Birmingham City Council, the BGP builds on the successful delivery of the Business Development Programme, the Business Innovation Programme and the Green Bridge Supply Chain Programme, all of which closed in 2015.
To be considered for BGP grant support you must be able to answer "YES” to each of the 9 points below by the time you submit your application form
- Are you an SME actively trading for 6 months or more? (The definition of an SME is that your business has between 1-249 employees, has an annual turnover of less than £35.5m, has a balance sheet less than £30.5m and is less than 25% owned by another company or combination of companies).
- Do you operate 100% on a Business to Business (B2B) basis?
- Do you have a project which will grow your business, resulting in jobs being created? (£10,000 grant = 1 job creation)
- Can you deliver your growth project in a 4 month period following receipt of your offer of grant? (Priority will be given to investment-ready projects which can be completed within 4 months. Projects taking 4 to 6 months will only be considered under exceptional circumstances and with prior agreement.)
- Do you pay your business rates to one of the local authorities based within one of the three eligible LEP areas? (i.e. Birmingham, Bromsgrove, Cannock, East Staffordshire, Herefordshire, Lichfield, Newcastle-Under-Lyme, Redditch, Shropshire, Solihull, South Staffordshire, Stafford, Staffordshire Moorlands, Stoke-on-Trent, Tamworth, Telford and Wrekin or Wyre Forest).
- Is your business activity listed as "eligible” on the attached Business Activity List?
- Do you have cash match? (Cash funding is the difference between the grant you are seeking and the remaining cost of your project. All applicants must provide cash funding which can be sourced from the private sector, but not other European Funds or Asset Finance). This cash match will need to be confirmed.
- You can obtain 3 competitive quotes (unless dealing with a very specialist item) for each element of the proposed expenditure? (Quotes for project expenditure should not be from persons or businesses connected to your business, directors or shareholders).
- You can confirm that your accounts will be audited, or you can provide a Business Plan if you have only been trading for 6 months?
If you answered "YES” to all the above, the links below will provide more information to find out which of our four components of business support best suits your needs. Contact the Growth Hub in your partnership area, which will provide FREE advice in completing your application.
HS2 Supply Chain Programme
- Offers grant support of £20k-£200k towards project costs for supply chain companies which have, or are in the process of securing, or have the ability to secure a contract for HS2..
Green Bridge Supply Chain Programme
- Offers grant support of £20k-£150k towards project costs for supply chain companies operating in, or diversifying into the green economy.
Business Innovation Programme
- Offers grant support of £10k-£30k towards project costs for SMEs investing in innovative close-to-market processes, products and services.
Business Development Programme
- Offers grant support of £10k-£20k towards project costs for businesses looking to expand, relocate and improve access to markets.
Note 1: The use of consultants or third parties in completing the application form is discouraged and is an ineligible cost. To progress your application, you must contact your respective Growth Hub, who will provide advice at no cost.
Note 2: FOR THOSE SMES THAT HAVE PREVIOUSLY BENEFITTED FROM THE GREEN BRIDGE SUPPLY CHAIN, BUSINESS INNOVATION OR BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME SUPPORT:
If you have benefitted previously from a Green Bridge Supply Chain, Business Innovation or Business Development Programme grant, then unless you have fully achieved ALL of your previous project outputs (including ALL jobs creations) you will NOT be considered as eligible for BGP funding. Please check with your Project Officer to ensure you have satisfied all of your project outputs before submitting a BGP application.
BGP applications from SMEs that have not met their contractual obligations related to previous projects funded by one or more of these 3 programmes will NOT be considered for funding.
If you have partially met your project outputs from previous GBSCP, BIP or BDP grant supported projects, then you are ineligible for consideration in this funding round and we recommend that you delay applying for BGP support until your previous project outputs have been fulfilled.
The programme limits awards to one grant per SME from any ONE of the four components of the Business Growth Programme (i.e. you cannot apply for a grant from each component).