Whether you have some prior knowledge of Open Data, work in a related field, or are completely new to it, this introductory workshop will give you a better understanding on how Open Data has the power to fuel economic growth, job creation, innovation and new business opportunities.
Who is this workshop for?
- Small and medium sized businesses (SMEs)
- Social enterprises
- Not-for-profit organisations
This workshop will introduce you to some of the main Open Data platforms in the West Midlands. The strengths and weaknesses of the data sets will be assessed as they are compared to data available from other cities. You will also be provided with some exemplars of Open Data use and data visualisations.
The objectives of the workshop are:
- Presenting an overview of the Open Data landscape, its characteristics and the familiarity with data licenses, certificates and UK regulations
- Knowing and accessing various UK data hubs, with a focus on West Midlands and Birmingham data
- Showcasing Open Data use cases with the appreciation of running exemplars
- Networking opportunities with representatives from Birmingham City University, other Big Data Corridor representatives, as well as other SMEs located within the region